It’s a match made in health heaven: All that’s missing from one of our favorite ‘anytime’ snacks are omega-3 and omega-6—the two polyunsaturated fatty acids that are essential for good health. That’s where Udo’s Oil comes in.
Avocados are nutrient and phytochemical dense fruits (they're technically fruit because they develop from the flower of a plant and have a seed). Avocados are rich in dietary fiber, potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and magnesium. In our house, they're on hand year-round.
THE IMPORTANCE OF DAILY ESSENTIAL OMEGAS
Avocados are also rich in monounsaturated fats but contain very little polyunsaturated fats. The body can synthesize all the fats it needs from carbohydrates and proteins, except for omega-3 and omega-6 fats. Hence, they are "essential", just like other essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals. The only way we can get them is directly from our foods or from supplements.
These two essential fatty acids (or EFAs)—omega-3 alpha linolenic acid (ALA) and omega-6 linoleic acid (LA)—are responsible for vital biological functions in every cell (of which the body has trillions) such as membrane structure, growth and division, cell-to-cell communication, gene expression, hormone production, receptor function and energy production.
Sufficient EFA levels are critical to the optimal functioning of the brain, liver, kidneys, heart, and all other glands and organs.
Fresh, unrefined omega-3 and omega-6 oils are perishable, just like other healthy but perishable foods. So, keeping oils fresh is of key importance to health.
OUR BEST TIPS FOR YOUR UDO'S OIL OMEGAS:
- Store Udo’s Oil Blend in the fridge and use within 2 months of opening;
- You can freeze and refreeze Udo’s Oil Blend without damaging the oil in any way. Freezing Udo’s Oil Blend will extend shelf life by 3x. Just a few minutes out of the freezer is enough time for the oil to be pourable for a serving or two. Then, place it back in the freezer until the next use;
- The best results come from adding Udo's Oil Blend omegas to foods or smoothies;
- Never use for high heat cooking
For more information on our award-winning Udo’s Oil Blend and why we created it, go here.
Now that you have a better understanding of how your daily omegas work, it’s time to eat! Give your avocado toast a boost of fresh, certified organic, plant-based omega-3 and -6 by drizzling a little Udo’s Oil on top. Here’s our classic—and ultra simple—recipe:
CLASSIC AVOCADO TOAST + UDO’S OIL
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 slice whole grain bread, toasted
- ½ ripe avocado, pit removed, sliced vertically
- Drizzle of Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend
- Pinch of Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne powder (optional)
- Toast the bread.
- With the skin still on, cut the ripe avocado in half. Using the half without the pit, carefully remove the peel. Place pit-side down on a cutting board and slice the avocado lengthwise and thinly.
- Arrange the avocado slices evenly on the toasted bread;
- Using a fork and some pressure, create grooves in the avocado slices; do this 5 or 6 times;
- Without over-pouring, drizzle some Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend into the grooves of the avocado slices;
- Add a pinch of salt, some freshly cracked pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste.