Udo's Oil 3·6·9 Blend Capsules
- Multiple award-winning original blend of unrefined 'healthy fats' in vegetarian gel capsule form
- 100% plant-based fresh omega-3, -6, and -9 oils from flax, sesame, and sunflower seeds, coconut, and evening primrose
- With organic MCTs from coconut oil
- Designed for people who travel
- Ideal ratio balance of 2:1 omega-3s to omega-6s
- Take 2 capsules three times daily with meals. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place. Refrigeration not required.
WHAT IS UDO'S CHOICE® 3·6·9 BLEND? Our multiple award-winning Udo's Oil® 3·6·9 Blend is a mix of plant-based, unrefined, certified organic food oils. It provides people who care about health with a reliable, undamaged source of polyunsaturated omega-3 and -6 essential fatty acids (or EFAs) and monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acids, which are all excellent sources of energy, fat-soluble vitamins and other key nutrients, and are important components of all membranes of the trillions of cells in the body.
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS AND WHAT DO THEY DO? EFAs are responsible for vital biological functions such as cell growth and division, cell-to-cell communication, gene expression, eicosanoid hormone production, and many more.(1,2) The body can make almost all the fatty acids it needs from other nutrients but lacks the enzymes required to synthesize either omega-3 or omega-6 essential fatty acids and therefore must obtain them directly from the diet, hence the name 'essential'.(3)
WHY ARE CAREFULLY MADE EFAS IMPORTANT FOR HEALTH? Some of the greatest health concerns facing the Western diet today are the prevalence of omega-3 deficiency (99% of the population), the overabundance of industrial, highly-refined vegetable oils (mostly omega-6) in our food supply, and the toxic damage from processing and food preparation to which both these sensitive polyunsaturated oils are commonly subjected.(1,3,4)
WHAT MAKES UDO'S OIL® 3·6·9 BLEND SO SPECIAL? Udo's pioneering work in the field of 'good fats' started in the 1980s. To make this oil blend 'with health in mind', we designed special machinery that excludes light, oxygen, and heat, the three factors that turn healthy EFA-rich oils into unhealthy, toxic ones.(4-6) This is also why you will always find Udo's Oil capsules in a brown glass bottle in the supplement section of your local natural foods store or supermarket. Instead of packaging our carefully made oils in plastic — which comes with health concerns — we package Udo's Oil capsules in glass. And, because we understand the critical role a balanced ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 plays in health, we blended Udo's Oil with a ratio of 2:1. No other company makes oils with the same level of care we do.
[otw_shortcode_content_toggle title="REFERENCES" opened="closed"]
- Simopoulos AP. Evolutionary aspects of diet: the omega-6/omega-3 ratio and the brain. Mol Neurobiol. 2011 Oct; 44(2):203-15. doi: 10.1007/s12035-010-8162-0. Epub 2011 Jan 29.
- Kaur N, Chugh V, Gupta AK. Essential fatty acids as functional components of foods- a review. J Food Sci Technol. 2014 Oct; 51(10): 2289-303. doi: 10.1007/s13197-012-0677-0. Epub 2012 Mar 21.
- Simopoulos AP, Bourne PG, Faergeman O. Bellagio report on healthy agriculture, healthy nutrition, healthy people. Nutrients. 2013 Feb 5; 5(2): 411-23.
- Frankel, EN. Lipid Oxidation, Second Edition. The Oily Press, Bridgwater, UK, 2005.
- Choe E, Min DB. Mechanisms and Factors for Edible Oil Oxidation. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2006; Vol 5: 169-186.
- Arab-Tehrany E, Jacquot M, Gaiani C, Desobry S, Linder M. Beneficial effects and oxidative stability of omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2012; 25, 24–33.